We are the Oakland Chapter,
We want to fund projects that bring about art, performance, social change and help shape a better Oakland community.
While we have a short track record as a chapter, our trustees do have leaning on the kind of projects that grab our attention:
• We only fund projects, ideas and events based in or supporting Oakland and the surrounding communities.
• We are more inclined to fund a proposal if the grant is a significant factor in the project becoming a reality.
• The grant is a significant part of the budget as opposed to a small contribution to a large scale/budget project.
• Include a budget, be specific on 'How I will use the money'. We want to see what you will be spending the money on and how much that item or service will cost.
• The project serves a large community, especially if that community is historically underserved.
• The project is aimed an informing, educating or entertaining the community or has a community involvement as part of its execution.
• A community project should always include how many people you hope to serve and a clear and concise outreach plan for reaching you intended audience. 'FB ads' or 'social media' alone is not an acceptable approach.
Check out this winning proposal from Red Light Legal to help craft your application, you can view it here
We give out up to twelve grants per year and generally $1,000 per month.
Proposals are due the last Wednesday of each month. We meet the 1st Wednesday of the month to review the applications and the recipient is announced shortly after.
While a lot of your projects are awesome, not all submissions are a good fit for the trustees. Many times we will reach out to discuss why a certain project was getting traction and we are always happy to help review your proposals before you submit to give feedback and suggestions. Contact us well before the deadline at firstname.lastname@example.org with your inquiries.
Also consider applying to the SF and SJ chapter if we do not fund you, as they might fund an idea that isn't a fit for us, conceptually or geographically.
Thank you for your awesome passion!