Fern Elementary Basketball Program
My project is the first basketball program at my elementary school.My school consists of mostly students of Chuukese, Marshallese, Filipino, Tongan and Samoan heritage. Many, live in poverty and are not involved in structured activities after school. Due to this, often our behavior in school can be very alarming. I would like to start a after school extracurricular activity where students could learn a number of skills that associate with doing better in school academically and socially.
Here are my goals:
Goal: To create and implement an upper grade (4-5) basketball program as an extracurricular activity as an opportunity for students to strive in multiple areas and skills.
These include, but are not limited to:
• Gaining an understanding that school is important to be able to participate in extracurricular activities.
• Coming to school is essential
• Respecting yourself, others and school are important
• A positive attitude matters
• Providing students the opportunity to promote individual and team skills.
• To develop and experience a competitive feeling
• To learn and practice good sportsmanship skills
• To learn and understand why rules are important
• Respecting others
• To develop a sense of commitment to a team and yourself
This project is just a start at my school, but my big picture goal is to unite the Kalihi district schools, so we can all have a basketball program and create an elementary basketball league for students to participate in and learn an array of skills, while living positive, healthy lifestyles.
Funded by Oahu, HI (September 2016)