This past summer I receiving my first co-op student from Sacred Heart which was an amazing/positive experience. It really inspired me to share my knowledge of photography with a younger audience. Photography gave me a voice when I was growing up. Being able to express myself through photography at a young age was very empowering and helped shape me into the person I am today. If I can help one person find their voice and empower them through the art of photography, that would be a wonderful thing. I'm at a stage in my career where I'm able to focus on giving back to this amazing community and paying it forward.
With more and more of the arts being cut from our schools I came up with the idea to develop a travelling youth photography mentorship/club within Newmarket (my home town).
The goal will be to give students from grades 5-8 hands on exposure to the art of photography. The program will become an official club at the YRDSB public schools that will meet once a month. At the end of each school year, each club will host a gallery presentation in their libraries. This will give the students the opportunity to show off their accomplishments and have it displayed.
The curriculum will include:
- A history of photography
- Understanding shutter speed, ISO, Aperture and how they work together
- How to take create photographs without a ton of expensive gear
- How to create stronger images with composition
- Introduction to digital post production work on the participants digital images
- Monthly photography challenges which will be presented and discussed at the following meeting
The purpose of the program is to:
- Spark the creative spirit within the participants
- Give the participants the opportunity to express themselves through the art of
- Help develop confidence and pride within the individual through the art of
Funded by Newmarket, ON (November 2019)