Dana’s Beauty Supply is an experimental beauty supply store, creating spaces for Black and Asian solidarity while servicing the community's beauty needs. We reimagine the beauty supply as a space for community, creativity, and critical dialogue.
In the Summer of 2022, Dana’s Beauty Supply launched its inaugural Cosmetology Scholarship which supports Black cosmetology students by awarding a $3,000 scholarship to the winner.
Dana’s Beauty Supply was launched in 2021 by Korean and Black artist, Dana Davenport, as part of her artist residency at Recess Art in Brooklyn, NY. With more than 70% of all beauty supply stores (that cater to Black and Brown communities) being Korean-owned, she wanted to create a space where folks can have progressive conversations around the beauty supply industry, its history, and the tensions that exist within it while envisioning a future with solidarity at the forefront. She has collaborated with local Black-owned beauty supply stores, local cosmetologists, beauticians, entrepreneurs, writers, and artists.
- Grand opening of the installation at Recess Art (Sept 2021, NYC)
- Free Korean language courses taught by Eve Talley (Sept 2021, Virtual)
- Soap-making workshop with FeelzReal Cosmetics (Oct 2021, NYC)
- Entrepreneurship Discussion led by Whitney Mari, formerly Head of Digital Marketing at Essence Magazine. (Oct 2021, NYC)
- Fundraiser Event and Merchandise Launch at Recess Art (June 2022, NYC)
- Cosmetology Scholarship Launch (July 2022, NYC)
2023 Projected Programming
- Dana's Beauty Supply pop-up in Los Angeles, CA
- Fundraiser Event and Merchandise Launch in Los Angeles, CA
- Panel on the history and challenges of Asian-owned businesses in Black neighborhoods in LA.
Грант предоставил Los Angeles, CA (November 2022)