Ottawa Global Work Party
“It’s time for us to roll up our sleeves and get to work.”
Those are the words of Ban Ki Moon, Secretary General of the United Nations, in his endorsement of the 10/10/10 Global Work Party.
If you live in the Ottawa area, we have a job for you. You’re invited to the Ottawa Global Work Party on 10/10/10. Yes, that’s Thanksgiving Sunday, and there’s no better giving than the giving-back-to-the-Earth kind.
Founded under environmentalist Bill McKibbon’s 350.org, last year, people held events in over 181 countries to work towards reducing carbon emissions by 10%. CNN called it ‘the most widespread day of political action in the planet’s history.’
This year, we’ve organized our own Ottawa Work Party to kick-start action on climate change. We’re organizing a fair to show people how they can live more sustainably. Here’s what we plan to do:
- Encourage people to make pledges to reduce their carbon footprint in 2010.
- Build a small-scale model of our vision of a green Ottawa using recycled materials.
- Invite guest speakers from various environmental organizations to talk about climate change
- Invite local artists to perform acoustic sets and display artwork.
- Invite local media as well as local politicians.
- Invite local businesses to promote their green practices and tips for sustainable living.
- Provide form letters for people to contact their MP and ask for climate legislation.
The Awesome Ottawa grant money will give us the chance to make this event something special.
Everyone is welcome to join us in celebration of sustainable living.
Financiado pelo capítulo Ottawa, ON (September 2010)