The FEMMES program aims to address education resource inequality and the lack of diversity within CS/STEM (computer science, science, technology, engineering and math) fields. To achieve this goal, FEMMES uses a unique combination of approaches: our emphasis on hands-on, active learning; our ability to reach under-served populations; and our mentorship network for women at all academic levels. FEMMES at the University of Michigan serves students from the greater Southeast Michigan with a particular focus on reaching students of color and other underrepresented populations.
Throughout the school year FEMMES hosts a series of CS/STEM educational programs both at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus and at community sites including elementary schools and public libraries.
Why is FEMMES Awesome?
1) FEMMES uses powerful female role models to demonstrate how women can, and do, excel in these fields!
2) FEMMES increases elementary student self–confidence and interest in CS/STEM fields- during this critical developmental stage!
3) FEMMES empowers women scientists of all ages by forming a network of University- and community-based women in many CS/STEM fields.
4) FEMMES enacts a belief that communities should be active participants in the education and development of the next generation.
5) “Everything!” ~ FEMMES Spring 2014 Participants
Help us achieve our goal of promoting involvement in STEM by building curiosity and increasing confidence in girls so they may pursue their dreams without hesitation!
Подкрепен от Ann Arbor, MI (October 2014)