The Homeless No More Grant (HUMI)
Program Description: HUMI provides homeless prevention and move-in assistance program. The Homeless No More Grant provides one-time financial assistance to families who are facing eviction, or are already homeless. Whenever possible, this program seeks to intervene before a family falls into the cycle of homelessness.
Need in Gainesville:
1. This The number of school-aged children identified as homeless has more than doubled in the last five years (from 525 now at 1,021 children without a home in our school system).
2. Gainesville was just identified as the Florida city most affected by poverty.
3. Gainesville has the highest rent-cost burden rates of any metro in the state of Florida, according to Harvard University’s Joint Center for Housing Studies (JCHS.)
We’re going to do something about this.
Family Promise was awarded $20,000 that we’re looking to have matched by businesses and grantors who care about reducing homelessness.
The goal of the program is to help families adjust their budget to make room for saving and work with landlords to reduce rent to a rate that is more affordable for the family’s income. Through case management and financial assistance a plan is devised that will help families remain housed through the entirety of their lease and determine ways to either increase income or keep rent at an affordable rate.
The following will be used to determine eligibility for the program:
1. Must have a 3 day notice and/or are currently homeless
2. Have a proven financial hardship
3. Have been employed for at least 6 months
4. Rent is more than 30% of Income (rental assistance only)
5. Must have a child under the age of 18 in the home
6. Must have a reference
Role of Client:
1. Work on and follow living budget.
a. Provide monthly bank statements
2. Work on ways to increase income.
a. Education and Certifications
3. Work with landlord to improve communication and maintain housing.
Financé par Gainesville, FL (October 2019)